Your Board is key to your fundraising strategy. The problem though is that most trustees are usually resistant to fundraising. When it comes to getting involved most likely you’ll hear a trustee say, “I give my time to governance and that’s my contribution.” They seem to avoid fundraising at all costs. I think the reason for this reaction is that most trustees have a very old view of just what fundraising is. They don’t want to beg, lean on friends or family, shake buckets in the streets, do daft stunts or sit at tables in shopping malls. To be honest, who really wants to? I certainly don’t!
- So, what then is needed to get your board of trustees to become active participants and partners in your organisation’s fundraising — A change in perspective.
- A perspective that is based on sharing a story not an ask.
- An understanding of just what a critical role they play in fundraising without ever having to ask anybody for anything.
- How fundraising is activism and advocacy.
- Exactly how fundraising is linked to the strategy and growth of the organisation they govern
Over the last 10 years I have developed a three-hour workshop especially for trustees make that to a new perspective. It is based on over 30 years of fundraising experience as a member of the Fundraising Institute of NZ working with boards and their trustees. Almost all participants in these workshops comment to me afterwards that they understand fundraising in a fresh way. A trustee recently said to me after a workshop in the bay of plenty
“I thought as a trustee I understood fundraising, but I see it now in a new light. I’m on board.”
Trustees like the member above get just how significant and valuable they are in your fundraising strategy. They have a new motivation to get involved in supporting the organisations fundraising efforts.
This three-hour workshop covers:
- What fundraising is and importantly — what fundraising isn’t.
- The power of your story.
- Being a connector and ambassador for your organisation.
- Coming to grips with your organisation’s funding strategy (or lack of one).
- 5 ways to fundraise without ever asking.
- How to support a fundraising culture in your organisation.
- Winning new supporters and making a simple direct ask.
- Thinking strategically about fundraising and financial sustainability as a trustee.
This workshop includes a small workbook with the workshop information given for later reflection. The workshop is kept to three hours recognising the time cost for Trustees with busy lives.
The total cost for this workshop is $380.00 per board (not trustee).
Phone me on 0210433686 or email me firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further and plan a time for this workshop with your board.